Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering
University’s feedback: Why study Mechanical Engineering at UMD?
Undergraduate program in Mechanical Engineering at University of Maryland College Park begins with a solid background in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and basic engineering science courses. This strong foundation during your first two years prepares you for the advanced classes and research projects you will undertake in your final two years.
With a graduation requirement of 120 to 125 credits, most of our students graduate within four years. Motivated students can get involved with special projects as early as their junior year, working on group projects to develop one of the most important aspects of mechanical engineering: teamwork.
Over the past decade, the program has established a winning record in intercollegiate competitions. Regional, national, and international competitions in Mini-Baja vehicles, human-powered submarines, solar energy, and others have resulted in numerous prizes and honors for our students and faculty. These successes have drawn the interest of a wide variety of industries, all impressed with our students’ abilities to get the job done.
The University of Maryland’s proximity to the nation’s capital has resulted in research partnerships with the Federal government. Members of the faculty receive research funding and institutional support from agencies such as the National Institutes of Health, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the National Institute of Standards and Technology, and the Department of Homeland Security.
Visit Mechanical Engineering@UMD Website to learn more.
Our feedback for your shortlist
Here are the key facts about University of Maryland College Park
- Ranked #61 among National University by the US News and world Report, and ranked among 101-150 by QS for Mechanical Engineering
- Avg SAT 1315
- Very high median salary 10 years after graduation ($60,500)
- Very difficult to get in (44.9% acceptance rate)
- Tuition fee: $32,044
- Other fee (hostel, books, transportation, food): $15,562
In our shortlisting, we would place University of Maryland College Park as follows:
- Affordability, based on tuition and living expenses: 3 (on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the most desirable)
- Reputation, based on research, academic strength and ranking: 5 (on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the most desirable)
- Outcome, based on career success of alumni: 5 (on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the most desirable)
Depending on your academic, extra-curricular and other aspects of your profile, you could shortlist University of Maryland College Park as your Dream School with a chance of getting admission as 25% or less.